Sunday 31 May 2015

Travel | European City Break Wish List 2015

I'm pretty sure Mr Smith and I have caught a minor travel bug in the last couple of months. Our browser history pretty much consists of Kuoni, Secret Escapes, BA and Trip Advisor having spent a lot of time searching for city breaks in Europe to enjoy this year. So I thought I'd write a blog post ahead of any of our travels this year showing you where I'd love to go and why. Of course, I'd like to see all the Cities Europe has to offer but 25 days annual leave won't permit that level of wanderlust. I've narrowed it down to my Top 5 for 2015, and hope we can cross these off our list and share our adventures here.

Historically, I've only ever wanted to find a tropical beach somewhere in the Indian Ocean or Caribbean to holiday but this year I'm hoping to make a change. After all, there is only so much of the world you can see on a sun bed... right?

I've gathered a lot of inspiration from Pinterest for this, thanks to the wealth of beautiful pictures and tips from other bloggers/travellers on there. And picked between them all thanks to Time Out and Trip Advisor reviews and publications.. credit where credit is due of course.

City One: Rome, Italy




Credit: Kristina Assenova via http://www.fernwehosophy.com


Who can deny the beauty of Rome?! And surprisingly, neither Lewis or I have been. In fact, I've never been to Italy before! I loved Paris for its architecture and have been led to believe Rome has buildings that will rival them. I want to see everything I can in the time we have there this summer, the Trevi Fountain, St Peters Square, The Colosseum .. this list goes on. And of course try out the Gelato and go searching for those less touristy restaurants to try out food the locals would love too.

City Two: Geneva/Lake Geneva Region, Switzerland


Credit: http://www.myswitzerland.com/en-gb/lake-geneva-region-vaud1.html

This really is the complete opposite of 'holidaying' for me.. especially considering we'd like to explore Switzerland in the Autumn/Winter time. Lewis loves to explore and spend hours in amongst nature when he can, so I think that's what will be on the Agenda here. As well as seeing the infamous lake itself, I think we'll be heading into the mountains for a bit of a trail adventure to see as much as we can of this beautiful place. I can't wait!

City Three: Lisbon, Portugal



The capital of Portugal and one beautiful city. What I love the most about this place is that its both cosmopolitan and coastal, without compromising on the wealth of History there is there. The tram system has been around for years, and whilst they have been updated in many areas, the oldies are still in operation.. how cute! This will be the perfect break for a little bit of sunshine, great food and to enjoy some Portuguese hospitality. Again, a place I've never been before that I can't wait to visit! 

City Four: Vienna, Austria


credit: photographer unknown, source The Telegraph 

Vienna looks stunning, and wins big points on Architecture which I'm a huge fan of. I'd love to visit in December time for a weekend, to catch a glimpse of the famous Christmas Market outside the history museum. St Stephens cathedral is also on my list of places to see as well as a trip to the famous Riesenhard Ferris wheel if we have the time. Maybe a last minute trip amidst the christmas gift shopping to get us in the festive mood!

City Five: Venice, Italy


credit: unknown.. sorry! let me know if you know!

Undoubtedly a fairytale place to visit, in my opinion. If it's good enough for the Clooney wedding, it's good enough for a weekend break for Mr Smith and I. There's something about a city you can explore on a Gondola that makes it even more amazing. Plus the unbeatable Italian food, and unspoilt buildings.. it's ideal for a city break exploring. Hopefully we'll be able to add this to our Italy road trip this year, or maybe make our way back there for a bit of post-summer relaxation. Either way, I can't wait to explore it.

Let me know if you've been to any of the places on my wish list.. I'd love to know what you got up to and where you stayed. If you've had a look at my previous travel post on Honeymooning, you'll know I'm a sucker for a recommendation or two so please feel free to get in touch :)







No comments:

Post a Comment