Saturday 2 May 2015

Health | 10 Tips For New Runners


If someone had told me I'd enjoy running this time last year, I'm sure I would have died of laughter. 'I can't even run up the stairs' and 'nah not for me, thanks' were about the only response I had when it came to running. In fact, when it came to any form of exercise.

I signed myself up to the Portsmouth Coastal Half just before Christmas, in a bid to give myself a little bit of a push into actually doing something post Christmas food coma. I bought a cheap pair of Asics, threw on a pair of leggings and got out there for my first run. I won't pretend for the sake of this post that I was hooked at that point, because I really wasn't. It was awful, uncomfortable, sore and I felt like I'd gathered an audience for my 'jiggling' around the village. But I kept going with the help of my loyal running partner and some discipline.

After a few runs, I hooked on to the Nike+ app to get me prepped for the race, which is great for new runners as it's inexpensive and easy to use. Next thing I knew, I was waiting at the start line in Portsmouth. It was my first experience of a race, and the first time I felt a real sense of community with other runners (professional and newbies like me!). Adrenaline really pushed me throughout the race, and the satisfaction of crossing the finishing line and feeling like I could probably carry on running was enough to get me hooked. I think at that point I caught what some may call 'the running bug'.

Having continued to pursue it as a 'hobby' if you like and being in my 6th month of training in total, I really wanted to share my top 10 tips for the novice runner. As a quick disclaimer, I am not a professional runner, fitness professional or a doctor.. so please take this post lightly, and as advice from one newbie to another. These are the things I wish I'd of known or considered before I started out. They're in no particular order, but I hope you find them really useful! Good Luck!


1. Yes, it's actually a good idea to get all the gear.
I've heard it a million times 'all the gear, no idea'. If you're motivated by having a fresh pair of trainers, or a wardrobe of neon dri-fit.. do it! I found nothing has helped me more in getting motivated to get out there than knowing I get to sport my new trainers, or at least knowing what I'm wearing is fit for purpose. Of course, I wouldn't go breaking the bank before you even give it a go.. unless you keep the tags on (kidding!).

2. Know your knees
After your first few 'longer' runs, you'll get a feel of what your body can take or not. Be careful not to push yourself too soon, or to write off your knee pain as 'just getting used to it'. Your joints are key to making running something long term, so look after them and always give yourself a day or two to rest after a tough run. Trust me, your knees will really thank you for it.

3. Take it easy & stretch it out
I guess 2 and 3 go hand in hand, but I felt this one deserved it's own spot on the list. For me, I struggled to remain realistic in my capability when I picked up some momentum with my training. This caused all sorts of issues for me when it came to injuries and bruising because I just kept on hammering it if you like. If you're just starting out, don't feel like you have to follow the training plans like they're gospel. Take it easy, and listen to your body when it's sore and take a break. A day or two out won't impact your fitness levels.

4. Keeping hydrated
An obvious one for most, but this is so so important. When you're on your runs, be sure to take some water with you and keep hydrated. Little and often worked for me, and I regulated it by taking a sip every half kilometre to make sure I wasn't overdooing it or missing out on the water I needed. Hydration is also key on the days you don't run. I found that upping my water intake made me feel a whole lot healthier and able to run without feeling the drowsiness that dehydration often brings. Grab yourself a new water bottle and make that your bff.

5. Get yourself a gait analysis
Okay, this one isn't the most important to begin with, but I found it really useful a month or so in when  my aches and pains just weren't shifting. I took a trip to an independent running shop and had a gait analysis done to see what trainers were right for me. Thanks to my overly bendy bones, I had some serious bend in my left ankle and over extension in my right leg. After the analysis, I got myself some Asics designed more for support and I've loved them ever since. Considering that most trainers are a bit of an investment piece, I'd say definitely give this a go before you dive in to the expensive footwear.

6. It's okay to have a few days off
Maybe I struggled with this a little more than normal because I'm actually a really competitive person (yes, I've admitted it Husband). I'd feel guilty if I missed more than a couple of days off training if life was busy, and this took some work on getting over. If you're like me, I'd suggest getting connected to an online running community to keep you feeling like you're training even when you can't be out there. #UKRunChat is a great one to get you started.


This Girl Can: http://www.thisgirlcan.co.uk

7. Get inspired
Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest are packed full of great content and conversations for runners of all levels, shapes and sizes. Sharing your runs on twitter, or following a training hashtag (#thisgirlcan) is a great way of seeing how others are training and get some ideas on how to improve your running through others experiences. It's invaluable, and a great way to procrastinate if that's your thing.

8. Mixing it up
I've learnt that I'm definitely built for endurance over speed, but the two really do go hand in hand. Mix in a couple of shorter, faster runs in your week to see the benefit on your long runs. Maybe try a 2km and 3km at a fast pace in between your longer runs to get you going. It's tough, sweaty and just awful but the benefits on your average pace and stamina are amazing.

9. Pair up
This works really well if you're not too keen on going out on your own, or need someone to give you a little push to keep going. Not only will it make your runs a little more interesting, but you'll also find you keep each other on track with your progress (and tend to skip less runs too).

10.  The wall will come to get you, keep going!
Every runner is different, and some may find it tougher than others to get going. I certaintly hit the wall, and continue to now even after 6 months. I'm not just talking about the stitch pains or exhaustion at mile 7, but more the temptation to stop even before you get out there because it's 'easier'. Keep disciplined, and do whatever works for you to keep you running. Every mile counts :)

I hope you find this blog post useful, and it would be great to hear from you if you're starting out or getting into the swing of things so feel free to tweet me @itssashasmith_




No comments:

Post a Comment